Brasília is the only city dating from the 20th century that has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
With its range of public buildings, the “ideal city” built between 1956 and 1960 is one of the icons of the Moderne style.
In this context gmp Architects, in cooperation with schlaich bergermann und partner (sbp), produced the design of the Brasília national stadium for Castro Mello Arquitetos (São Paulo). It was constructed in the place of the former Mané Garrincha stadium on the occasion of Brazil 2014.
Eduardo Castro Mello was responsible for the design of the 72,000-seat bowl; gmp and sbp produced the elevations of the esplanade as a characteristic “forest of columns”, and a double-skin suspension roof. As the city’s largest building, located on Brasília’s central axis, the composition was developed as a monumental building volume which integrates seamlessly into the urban design context. To achieve this, the stadium bowl is surrounded by an esplanade which comprises all access elements and supports the roof on its “forest of columns”.